The ground staff is a significant part of the aviation industry.Ground staff not only provides the first impression of any airline but is also essential for the functioning of an airport. Hence, it needs to be the best. No machines or computers can do the work of the ground staff, they are irreplaceable
There are several challenges in this field but it is worth the pay. To become an excellent ground staff, one needs to always be alert and need to use creative ways to solve the unexpected queries of passengers. Among the various responsibilities of the ground staff, the most important responsibility is to ensure the comfort and safety of the passengers in the airport.
This blog sheds the light on the important aspects of airport ground staff. This includes the duties, responsibilities, salary, skills required, courses, recruiting agencies, and job roles and opportunities in the field.
What is the Importance of Airport Ground Staff?
Airport ground staff is responsible for several duties. They always have to be ready and on their toes to ensure the proper assistance to the passengers. Following are the responsibilities that an airport ground staff needs to perform in the airport terminal-
- They need to ensure hassle-free check-in for the passengers on the flight.
- They must assist the passengers in rebooking or redirecting if their flights are canceled or delayed.
- They constantly need to update the waiting passengers regarding their flight.
- They have to help the customers by providing them the proper instructions before boarding, after landing, and while switching the connecting flights.
- They need to be good at cabin services to ensure the comfort of the passengers on the flight. This means the plane must be restocked and cleaned properly before the passengers are boarded.
- They have the task of issuing tickets to the passengers.
- They need to answer all the queries of the passengers politely. They need to be very patient and calm as the queries can also be of lost luggage and delayed flights.
- They need to help the passengers with their luggage during check-in.
- They must ensure the safe delivery of the luggage.
- They have to properly check the passenger’s identity so that the boarding pass can be provided to the correct passenger.
- Sometimes, they can also screen passengers and the luggage for ensuring their security.
- They need to provide special help to handicapped passengers.
- Outside the airport, they also need to make sure safe loading and unloading of luggage to and from the airplane.
- They need to assist flight crew members and passengers by providing them stairs to get in and out of the plane.
- They also need to show the taxi spots to the pilots which they can use.
What Does a Ground Staff in Airport Do?
A ground staff performs a wide range of duties in and outside the airport terminal. The staff works for commercial as well as the technical department of the airport through which they ensure the steady and safe arrival and departure of the plane. People working in ground duties are called “ground crew”. The main task of this ground crew is to ensure the efficient running of planes. People who work only in the airport terminal are called ground staff. They are in charge of storage, luggage, inspection, and keeping sufficient stocks of beverages and food in the plane. They also need to interact with the passengers, help them with their queries and assist them in every way possible.
Ground Crew Duties
The job of the ground staff is very professional and dynamic. This is why they are divided into the following parts to get the work done more efficiently.
Inside the airport terminal
Following duties need to be done by the ground staff that are employed inside the airport terminal-
- If the flights are canceled or delayed, they have to assist the passengers in rebooking or rerouting.
- They have to provide special aid to handicapped passengers.
- They have to keep the passengers updated with the latest information on their flights.
- They have to assist passengers in check-in.
- They have to assist passengers during security checks.
- They should be able to answer all the queries of the passengers.
Outside the airport terminal
Ground staff also needs to work outside the airport terminal. They must make sure a secure loading and unloading of the luggage of the passengers from the plane. They have to provide the stairs to the passengers and crew members so that they can safely get on and off the airplane. They also need to assist the airplane by directing it to the taxi spot.
The ground staff needs to be well-trained to perform the technical duties. These duties include managing and coordinating the staff near the airplane at the time of its arrival and departure, providing the captain with essential documents for the flight, arranging a flight plan, fuel, providing information on the weather situation, and other essential information. They also have to administer fleet management and airline network.
What is Eligibility to become Airport Ground Staff?
For becoming airport ground staff, the eligibility criterion is pretty simple and can be met by most of the individuals. If an individual wants to make a career in airport ground staff, one needs to meet the below eligibility criteria-
Academic Qualification- The interested candidate who wants to make a career in this field should be 12th passed from any accredited or recognized university or institute. There are various jobs in this field so the job description will depend on the industry one is recruited.
Experience- Every other industry asks for the experience of a candidate. Hence one must have enough experience before opting for a higher position in airport ground staff. One can either gain the experience by working in some industry or by participating in a training program of ground staff or undergoing some other course related to the aviation industry.
What is Airport Ground Staff Types of Job roles?
Airport ground staff offers a wide range of job roles. People are hired by airlines for various roles from solving customers’ queries to managing flight operations. Candidates can opt for any role according to their interests. Various job roles offered by the airlines are listed below.
- Flight Dispatcher
- Ramp Planner
- Passenger Service Agent
- Crew Schedule Coordinator
- Reservation Sales Agent
- Sales Representative
- Airline Ticket Agent
- Avionics Technicians
- Airline Station Agent
- Airline Operations Agent
What are Employment Opportunities for Airport Ground Staff?
Many airline companies are ready to hire individuals in airport ground staff. If a person is interested in this field, they can directly apply for the job after completing their studies. Interested persons can always check the openings for the job and the eligibility criteria required. Following are some of the employment opportunities for Airport Ground Staff-
- Tour Agencies
- Aviation Firms
- Travel Agencies
What is the average salary for Airport Ground Staff?
A fresher in airport ground staff can get up to INR 21,000 per month. Usually, the average salary depends on the job profile of the person and the airline company. As a person gains experience, their salary also increases. The average salary of various job profiles for airport ground staff is as follows –
|Starting Salary||INR 1,50,000 per annum|
|Mid Level Salary||INR 2,75,000 per annum|
|Higher Level Salary||INR 5,85,000 per annum|
What are the skills required to work as Airport Ground Staff?
It is certainly helpful for the candidates in airport ground staff if they have prior experience of customer service. There are many skills required to have a successful career in this field. Some of the essential skills on must has for this career are listed below-
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal abilities
- Management skills
- Soft skills
- Technical technique/Professional
What Courses Are Available for Career as Airport Ground Staff?
One can certainly make a career in airport ground staff by just clearing 12th but to make a successful career in Airport Ground Staff one must have the essential certifications. They can have one of the following degrees-
- Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training
- Post Graduate Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training
- Professional Diploma in Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
What are Top Recruiting Agencies for Ground Staff?
The airport ground staff is hired by national and international airlines. Following are some of the top recruiting agencies for ground staff-
- AirAsia India
- Air India
- Emirates Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
Why choose TransGlobe Academy for Airport Ground Staff Training Course?
Transglobe Academy provides comprehensive training to its students which makes them confident and also boosts their self-esteem. The course is specially designed to help students understand the concepts more clearly. The course is backed by solid technological support. Hence individual undergoing this course has a lot of career opportunities.
There is no fear of automation in this job as machines or computers cannot be employed to do this job. Therefore, there is vital security to this job from automation.
If a person wants to make a successful career in Airport Ground Staff, they can opt for the course available atTransGlobe Academy named Professional Diploma in Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management. This course provides enough exposure in the field and will give the overall knowledge of the industry. Once a person completes this course, he/she is ready for various opportunities and can surely have a bright future in the field.